Friday, November 17, 2006

Words to be Avoided

Inspired by another blogger, I feel the need to share a word that should never be used around me. It is completely irrational and may, perhaps, give you a glimpse into my unstable mind. I have a list of such words, but I'll only reveal one at a time. I'm trusting that in sharing this, you won't squirrel the information away to be used against me at a later time.

I go out of my way to find synonyms so I don't have to utter such nails-on-a-chalkboard sounds. Because for me, it's mostly about the sound of the word, rather than the definition. This avoidance runs in my family. Megan replaces common words with more obscure vocabulary because she can't pronounce the first word correctly. Andy simplifies his orations when translating to print because he is spelling challenged. I opt for less appropriate words because the first one that comes to mind makes me crave Valium.

The word at the top of my list is pucker. Now, I truly dislike this word but I can tolerate it as it pertains to lips. But never, never use it to describe fabric. Since I claim responsibility for my own actions, I hold no grudge toward my mother for this. However, when I hear this word, I get this vivid mental image of her scrunching up her nose, which ironically causes the lips to protrude in a rounded fashion, when trying on a garment and being unhappy with the way it lies against the body. She was clearly displeased and stated that the dress puckered. Cringe.

So you are thinking that this is funny. I have a memory so insane and most likely diluted that it makes me avoid a word. But I don't like the way it sounds. The /k/ sound is a common thread through many of the words on my list. You'll notice that there is no trace of /k/ in the first names of any of my children. While the sound does rear it's ugly head in two of their middle names, which I incidentally like, they are family names. Although I am not bothered by my last name, I should have probably retained my maiden name.

Appropriate substitutions may be: gather, fit, bunch

3 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

So, suggesting that your "panties are in a pucker" is something that would send you over the edge?

Words that I dislike aren't real words. They are, by and large, "corporate-speak". "Incent" for instance. Another is "irregardless". Granted, not corporate speak and, unfortunately, now recognized by the OED as an alternate to "regardless". And while it's probably too late, I have been consciously dropping "hopefully" from my speech, instead using the more accurate "I am hopeful".

While there are few words that I don't like, there's lots that I love: onomatopoeia, ex officio, sussurus, Ho-ho-kus, are just a few.

Fri Nov 17, 05:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I emphasize with you. It isn't just the word, but the 'sound' of the word being spoken. This is an Allgire thing! Some of us hear too much.

Re usage, my blood curdles when 'that' is used instead of 'who' when speaking of a person. 'Irregardless' also rattles my chain.

Mom

Sun Nov 19, 07:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops...I meant 'empathize'.

Sun Nov 19, 07:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home