Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Computer, End Program

I've lost my family. The older they are, the more addicted they are. The culprit, World of Warcraft. It's an online, interactive Dungeons and Dragons. They'll probably flame me for the comparison, but that's how I see it.

They are functioning addicts. They always go to work and school and perform well. They usually come to the table for dinner, although they may eat in 3 minutes and then disappear back to the computer. They even walk away to partake in a family activity most weekends, with minimal groaning.

The Trekkies among you understand how the Enterprise crew just talks to the ship and it responds. My family has graduated to a headset to communicate with their online companions. So from upstairs, it sounds just like Star Trek.

I draw the line at one subscription for the family. At least that way only one of them is completely absorbed and absent. Though, the player frequently has an audience for support.

Some weeks Friday rolls around and I feel like I haven't really seen most of them all week, even though we all sleep here every night. Does anyone know of a good 12 step program?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home