Thursday, August 10, 2006

What Is It About Third Grade?

If you have been reading my blog, then you know that I have strong opinions on education. I thought that I had ensured that the school we attend sort of knew about my opinions. I've kept them oblivious to what I perceive as their shortcomings but they are aware that I am a concerned parent. Today I found out that they just don't get it.

Monday I received a call from the elementary school asking if we would be enrolling this year. We were on the moving list, provided by students last year. Students who are under 10 years old. Not the parents of these students who actually have a legal say. I was happily not at home when the call came so I had the benefit of gathering my wits and outlining a conversation before returning their call.

Because we were on the moving list, we hadn't yet been placed in a class. I spoke with the principal who heard me out. I told her why our name was on her list and why we had reconsidered. I asked for a teacher who would give a gentle push and provide a little more. She seemed motivated when I mentioned that we have experienced the gifted program in the intermediate school. Yes, that is all pretty generic. I refrained from bashing any other teachers or academic experiences.

Today is registration day, when we all line up and cough up $85 per kid for a book rental fee, which is yet to be adequately explained to me. At this time, we are informed of our teacher placement. We are in the third grade ghost class. We have been assured that we will have a name by next Monday.

I am pleased that they have opened up another class, meaning that there are 3 fewer students per teacher than there would have been. I also understand that some 22 students need to be in this class. Our second grade teacher told us today that they still may not form that class. It all depends on how many students actually show up and register today. If they discard this class, then the students will all be assigned to an existing teacher. If the class does form, then they need to tell us the name of the new teacher. Either way, I am struggling to understand how they are considering my request.

I suppose it doesn't matter in the long run. Even before we had children, we always assumed that we would be their primary educators. I really think that Andy and I were both near high school before we ever heard anything for the first time in school. And even then, just tell me once. No need to repeat that information. 2 years ago we had a teacher who was young and new to our district. I must say that it was our best year, and it was third grade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home