Saturday, August 05, 2006

Ethical Quagmire


3 sweaters, 6 shorts, 3 pants, 1 jumper, 11 shirts. Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, J. Crew, Eddie Bauer, Tommy Hilfiger, Hanna Anderson, Lands' End. Wool, cashmere, linen. How much would you pay for these items?

Let's assume that they are on sale. About $20 per sweater? (If you find J Crew cashmere for $20, please let me know! The cheapest one on their website with long sleeves is $138.) $10 for pants, shorts and shirts? Not bad prices, right? So, that comes to $270.

The Millionaire Next Door would be proud of me. I spent $50.51. (Definitely not the code for the criminally insane, for all you Van Halen fans.) They all came from Goodwill - my new favorite place to shop. 2 shirts still have the original store tags on them. I know that used clothing isn't for everyone. I, however, don't have a problem with it. I've donated MANY things that I've worn once or twice, simply because they don't fit correctly or I was possessed by some spirit when I purchased the item.

Herein lies the dilemma. As my 10 year old posed, "Do you have to be needy to shop there?"

Well, as much as I like the bargain, we are not needy. Maybe that's because I shop for bargains. $138 for a sweater!? You're kidding me, right? NO WAY would I ever pay that, no matter how much I loved it and how perfect it would be for that wedding or office holiday party.

I justify this purchase as follows:
1. Reallocation of the clothing budget to the college savings fund. I have 4 kids who will want to attend, some in the not too distant future.
2. Reallocation to the grocery store. Saving on clothes means that I can buy organic. No bovine growth hormones for my kids!
3. After we're done with these items, they go back to Goodwill.

So, I'll continue to shop there. I will, however, draw an ethical line at creating a business of this. Think of the profits if I now listed these items on E-Bay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home