Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This Kid Rocks, Too



Warning: Feel free to turn back now if you don't want to hear my unbridled pride.

Drew's school frequently participates in math contests. They do one or two per quarter. Some are individual and others are team competitions. His math class is required to partake. These events are usually optional for most students.

For the team competitions, the teacher assigns students to seemingly random and balanced groups. Drew has been on a high performing team at least twice this year. As he put it, "I don't remember where we placed. I just know we did well and I'm happy about it for a few weeks and then I forget about it." I am sure that he is, indeed, happy to do well but it really doesn't phase him. I found out about his first place team in the district newsletter. To him, it's just what he does.

Today he came home beaming with pride. It was a banner day. They met with middle school teachers as a class to receive their summer packets. He has already narrowed down his reading options and has a plan for the required journal. He was most pleased to be the recipient of a new Math Contests book. This was a prize for achieving the highest score in the 5th grade on the latest contest. (He tied with two other students.) Not bad in a class of 300.

Drew wants to quit the piano. I'm not against this but I want to hear the plan for how he will use the time before we bid lessons adieu. He knows what he "should" tell me but I'm waiting to hear what he is actually going to do. Since school year lessons just ended, I would like to tell the piano teacher if he is not returning. So I once again broached the "What Are You Going To Do Next Year" conversation. While thinking it through, Drew told me that the 8th grade algebra teacher told them that she assigns 60-90 minutes of homework per night. Then Drew says, "I know I won't take that until 7th grade, but I don't think it will take me that long." Probably not.

So, in case you want to know about piano, we agreed that he can move on to something else. He starts percussion lessons in 2 weeks. He has full band as an elective five days per week next year, he will join Friday morning jazz band, continue weekly private lessons and actually practice. In addition, he is joining the cross country team, continuing his recreation league soccer, and assuming more responsibility for his Boy Scout endeavors. School comes first. Reading goals are considered requirements in our house. Then he can play all the video games that he wants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home