Thursday, May 10, 2007

Winding Up the Year



This has been a rather grueling week. It's basically the same as most weeks, but the year is coming to an end. Today is Megan's last day of preschool. That means that she has to go to kindergarten and I still don't want her to go. I always have a harder time with these markers of the passing of time than with things like my own birthday. It's not as much about allowing her to grow up as the fact that she is Megan. Nobody knows what she needs like I do. I have it in my head that she needs more protecting than the rest. Anyone who has ever talked with her or observed her at home knows that these are ill-founded worries. (If I ever get the recognition video online, you can witness her elbowing the girl next to her because the bow from Lauren's dress brushed Megan's arm.)

This year end business had me purchasing gift cards for teachers. I got to thinking that I shouldn't have to give a gift. Honestly, there are some teachers for whom my children and I are not thankful. We are only grateful for the end of the chapter. So why do I send identical gifts? The good teachers who we have had are always the ones who thank the parents for sharing their children. And mean it. They are truly grateful to be in their position and they recognize that you don't have to send your children to their classroom every day. Their teaching style reflects their dedication to ALL students. So why shouldn't I start with a gift budget and assign percentages to each teacher? Rather like a performance review and ensuing bonus that would apply to any other profession.


But then I would be left with another dilemma. I LOVE Drew's math teacher. She is the perfect match for him. I would be happy if she were his only instructor for the rest of his life. She could handle anything that he wanted to study and push him while making it interesting. A gift card really doesn't begin to express my appreciation. If I could afford to send her on a great vacation, I would. (She likes to travel. Would a vacation get my other kids into her class?) But the dilemma. My allocation method wouldn't leave anything for the others. Well, maybe I could squeeze a few percent for one.


Keep your fingers crossed that Ellen lands in her class next year and that their relationship is equally copacetic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home