Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Meeting My Expectations

I was going to spare you this story, but then I figured that this is my blog and if you don't want to read it you don't have to. My feelings won't be hurt. At least I don't think I'll care.

Yesterday was the big day. I loaded the kids into the van and we headed for school. We dropped Drew off, armed with his horn since it was lesson and band day. They are considerate and plan that large instruments only have to haul them back and forth one day per week. Then we headed to Ellen's school. But instead of dropping her off at the back door, I parked and paraded inside with the remaining three children. We wished Ellen luck on The Big Test, sent her to her classroom, and the rest of us went to the office. It was time to register for kindergarten.

For those of you who don't know, I grudgingly settled on public school. None of the privates had everything that was important to me so I was having trouble justifying the price tag.

I know that first thing in the morning is not an ideal time in an elementary school office. They have announcements, which always involve some students, parents signing in tardy children, and more parents dropping off medicine with the nurse, whose office is accessed through the main office. Kindergarten registration was 5 weeks ago so it's not like they were expecting me. But 5 weeks ago I didn't want her to go to this school and this is the time that I could fit it into my schedule. And besides, essentially all they needed to do was hand me a stack of papers and a pen.

The principal overheard what was happening and marched over to introduce herself. I've met her about 4 times before, seen her countless times, and spoken with her on the phone 3 times. So, there was really no need for her to introduce herself. Apparently I haven't made a lasting impression upon her. She can't boast the same claim.


Now, as I said, when we arrived, the office was buzzing with activity and brimming with children. So I understand how Megan could have been mentally grouped with the students. Within a few minutes, the area cleared out and all who remained were staff and the three of us. So, while I'm filling in the blanks, one secretary begins to make small talk with Tim. Despite our introductions and explanations of why we were visiting, she proceeds to ask him about kindergarten. Yes, Tim. My child who is 26 months old. Completely ignoring the 5 year old. Does she not work around kids all day? Does the typical kindergarten student really look like Tim? What did she think when he wasn't answering her? Did she notice that he still wears diapers?


I honestly went with a positive attitude. But I have to say that our experience completely met my expectations. I felt like I was making Megan part of an institution and they didn't care about her. (But maybe Tim will be more to their liking in THREE years when he is old enough to register!) I felt like the school is led by a bunch of bumbling idiots. My only consolation is that Megan has already mastered the kindergarten curriculum so the only reason for her to attend is social.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Laura,

Now I understand why you were looking at private school for Megan. How big are the classes? How many students in each grade? Regardless you would think that they could tell a child that isn't even in preschool yet from one that is ready for kindergarten!

Kim

Sat Mar 17, 07:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home