Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Unplug the Weather Radio!

Why, oh why, must the National Weather Service make changes to the forecast and broadcast it with that annoying wake-the-dead alarm? Oh, because conditions change. But why, oh why must they do this at 4AM? Oh, because it might be a tornado. Well, if it's a tornado then wake me. If it's a snow storm, leave me alone.

Monday at 4:05AM CST they woke me up to report that the winter storm watch had been upgraded to a warning - with precipitation beginning at 6PM. Did they really need to wake me up for that? It was 14 hours away. Surely I would wake up on my own during that time and find out more about the storm that they had been talking about since Sunday morning. It's not like it snuck up on us. Incidentally, they were correct. Our first rain drop fell at 6:05PM.

Tuesday at 3:50AM CST they woke me up again. This time to cancel the winter storm warning and issue a blizzard warning. What you need to remember is that all that is required to make a blizzard of poor visibility and wind. It doesn't even have to be snowing, just blowing snow. Well, maybe trace amounts of falling preciitation are required. And it's always windy here, making blizzards more common in Illinois than New England. So, what did they think I would do with this information?

So, we're all home. I anticipated this and picked up the few items that I needed for Ellen's Valentine's Day party so I could get ready today. But so much help. Snow should be fun. But the wind chill is in the single digits and it's blowing at blizzard force. In fact, I my entire front walk is clear because it's so dry and the wind took care of it for me. That means that they will all be inside all day. And the only hope of entertainment is neighborhood friends. It's not that we don't like the neighbors, but they aren't the favorites. And it is Tuesday. Warcraft update morning. Meaning you can't play while they do their maintenance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home