Friday, June 30, 2006

From the Mouths of Babes

The following are excerpts from the dinner table conversation tonight.

In response to hearing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, the baby announces, "Springtime!" Credit Disney's Little Einsteins.


A few minutes later the 10 year old, who lost a tooth during dinner last night at a birthday party, makes a contribution.

Son: I just lost a tooth.
Mom: (Pretty sure that this is some sleight of hand trick.) Was it a new one?
Son: Yeah. It was right next to the other one.
Mom: (Still disbelieving - The tooth fairy now leaves money and the tooth behind.) So you really just lost another tooth?
Son: Holding up bloody specimen. Yup.


With the child who is a few days shy of her 8th birthday and wants the family to go to the water park to celebrate.

Mom: It's going to be 96 degrees tomorrow and a holiday weekend. Maybe we could go to Knight's Action Park some other sunny day in the morning when it won't be really crowded.
Daughter: It's not my fault that I was born on a holiday weekend!
Mom: It's not my fault, either.
Daughter: Yes, it is! They were your eggs that got fertilized!


Earlier today (but thankfully not at dinner, as we had heard plenty already) with the child who is nearly 5:
Mom: Did you cut some of your hair yesterday?
Daughter: Smirk. Why do you ask?
Mom: When I was picking up the floor, I found a clump of hair right where you were sitting that looks like yours and you were carrying scissors around all day. Did you cut your hair yesterday?
Daughter: Silence.
Mom: Why did you cut your hair yesterday?
Daughter: I only cut the part that got in my eyes.
Note: I didn't notice that she had cut her hair, even after I found the clump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home