Monday, March 20, 2006

Another Year Older


I had a birthday this weekend. When you are a kid, life revolves around your birthday. What kind of cake will I have? Will I have a party at home or go somewhere? Who will I invite? Can I convince Mom that I need a cake for the family, another for my party and cupcakes for school? Will they actually honor my belief that my December birthday will not be perfect unless I have charcoal grilled cheeseburgers, medium rare, with crispy French fries for breakfast?

Once you are a parent, your birthday exists for the sole purpose of pleasing your children. They get almost as existed about your cake as they do about their own. They delight in creating the perfect gift. And be certain that they are scrutinizing your reaction to this gift.


I like to eat. Under Andy's watchful eye, they spent an unusual amount of time in the kitchen. I got to drink a cup of coffee and read my book at the same time! They made me waffles with strawberries and confectioners sugar. They baked a cake. They prepared crab cakes with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. And (the biggest gift) they cleaned up after themselves!



In addition to the food, I received messages of love and devotion. They also made me a coupon book. It said "Mom's Chore Book." They assure me that the chores are not for me to do. They will complete them, with a smile, upon my request. It's good to give a gift from the heart but watch out for becoming too invested. One child, ever on the lookout for loop holes wrote, "I will do all the vacuuming in the house for a day," lest I decide to assign the chore for life. Perhaps his day will be Wednesday.


The chore book contained things like mow the lawn and weed. I guess they created this under the delusion that spring begins today. But here is what the National Weather Service has to say:

SCHUYLER-LOGAN-DE WITT-CASS-MENARD-SCOTT-MORGAN-SANGAMON-CHRISTIAN-MACON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LINCOLN...JACKSONVILLE...SPRINGFIELD...TAYLORVILLE...

DECATUR 250 PM CST

MON MAR 20 2006...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM
CSTTUESDAY...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home